The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is one of the largest museums in North America, and in 2007, became one of Toronto’s most beautiful and interesting pieces of architecture.
Opening for business on March 19, 1914, the ROM sits on the north-east corner of one of Canada’s most storied universities, the University of Toronto. Like many other major museums around the world, the ROM houses thousands of incredible, beautiful, and unbelievable pieces of art. But it was in 2007, after a major architectural transformation, that it became a stand-out piece of architecture in the city, if not THE stand-out piece, with the unveiling of the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal.
The Crystal, which is also the main entrance, is such a commanding and dominant piece of artwork in itself. Standing three stories tall, the aim of the Crystal is to blur the lines between the public openness of the street, and the private interior of the museum. It almost peaks out over the street below.